Top 7 Sports Injuries
Original Publish Date
April 29, 2021
Sports injuries are injuries that occur during any sport or physical activity. Typically in a sports injury, the musculoskeletal (muscles, bones and ligaments) system is involved.
WHY DO SPORT INJURIES OCCUR?
Sports injuries are commonly caused by:
- Poor training methods
- Muscular weakness
- Structural abnormalities
- Faulty movement patterns
- Improper form
- Improper warm-up and cool-downs
COMMON TYPES OF SPORTS INJURY:
- Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome:
- Pain at the front of the knee due to improper movement, tight muscles and/or overuse.
- Tennis or Golf Elbow:
- Pain on either side of the elbow due to repetitive motions of the wrist and arm.
- Shoulder injury:
- Can include sprains, strains, dislocations, and labral tears.
- Muscle Strain:
- Commonly referred to as “pulled muscle,” and can occur when the muscle is overstretched due to fatigue, overuse, improper use or fast contraction while the muscle is lengthened.
- Can present with back pain that radiates down the back of the thigh and into the leg. It is caused by irritation, inflammation, compression of the nerve, tight muscles, herniated disc, and spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal spaces).
- Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome:
- Commonly referred to as “shin splints”, caused by overuse, increase in training, or improper movement patterns.
- Ligament Sprain:
- Commonly caused by sudden changes in direction, large stress to joint, and direct blows to joint.
By Dr. Billy Beaudreau, PT, DPT, MTC, OCS, FAAOMPT
CALL COMPREHENSIVE PHYSICAL THERAPY TODAY AT 985-869-7221 FOR A DETAILED EVALUATION AND GET BACK TO DOING WHAT YOU LOVE!