What is posture, and how does it affect us?
Simply put, posture is the position in which someone holds their body. Typically, many
professionals describe posture as sitting or standing upright without slumping the shoulders or
arching the back when it is good. Having and maintaining good posture takes practice and effort,
but it can negatively affect your daily life in many ways when it is terrible. Read below to see
what can come from incorrect posture and how you can correct it.
Common Issues Associated with Poor Posture:
• Headaches: Poor posture causes stress on the body, which can manifest in headaches for
• Neck Pain: Sitting or standing in a slumped position puts strain on the neck musculature
and can result in dull or sharp pain depending on the severity.
• Back Pain: Like the neck, poor posture can cause the muscles in the back to be
constantly firing or overstretched, which can lead to pain.
• Shoulder Pain: The body is connected. If you have pain throughout your neck and back,
you could develop pain in your shoulders.
• Muscular Imbalances: When sitting or standing with incorrect posture, some muscles
throughout your body could constantly be firing while others remain dormant, and this
can lead to overcompensation and muscle imbalance, which can lead to more issues and
Comprehensive Physical Therapy Can Help.
Skilled Physical Therapy can help correct incorrect posture and its aftereffects. Our Physical
Therapists can conduct a thorough evaluation to help identify any postural dysfunction and
create a plan specific for you and your goals. Improving your posture can lead to an overall
improvement in your daily life. Without it, simple everyday tasks can have immense pain and
challenging movement. So, seek help now and see results sooner rather than later.
Our Physical Therapists can help you get rid of your pain. Call today at (985) 869-7221 and
schedule your personalized evaluation with one of our Physical Therapists.